North Louisiana STEM Alliance
The North Louisiana STEM Alliance is a community of practice recognized by the STEM Learning Ecosystems Initiative. Sci-Port Discovery Center is the host organization. Our Goal is to coordinate efforts of diverse stakeholders in North Louisiana to provide high quality STEM education, including the arts, to all youth PK-16 regardless of zip code. As a community of educators, parents and civic advocates, unified to connect students to the 21st century workforce, we focus on improving STEM education through achieving math proficiency and enhancing STEM opportunities throughout the community. We aspire to close the race, gender and income gaps through a robust STEM pipeline that includes the arts. We aspire to reduce the remediation rates among our students, revitalize the economy and housing markets through intentional strategies and partnerships that yield meaningful results for our students, parents and the community at large.
Werner Park Leadership Night (Caddo Parish schools & Barnes & Noble)
We’ll be talking books and doing robotics demonstrations during Werner Park’s Leadership Night
Frankenstein Anniversary (Barnes & Noble with SciPort)
To celebrate Frankenstein’s 200th anniversary, we will host SciPort for a day of fun, circuitry, and science!
Harry Potter Night (with Walter B. Jacobs)
We’re hosting Walter B. Jacobs wildlife experts to discuss their owls and animal conservation during our Night of Harry Potter.
Brain Awareness Week (Barnes & Noble with Society for Neuroscience)
First Lego League Tournament
Regional Autonomous Robotics Circuit (RARC): Professional Development of Shreveport-Bossier and surrounding Metro area teachers to gain training in robotics and the RARC competition.
Watershed to the Red: a hands-on environmental education program designed to reach out to underrepresented PK – middle school students in Caddo and Bossier Parish.
Building Better Brains: Sci-Port will train parents in underserved communities how to engage their children in science through a series of hands-on workshops. Partnership with Caddo Parish schools and Shreve Memorial Library.
- Ascend Education: Marjorie Briley
- Alt 3D Tech: Mark Holstrom
- Barnes & Noble Booksellers: Kirk Reedstrom
- Bossier Library: Annie Gilmer, Kristin Kennedy
- Bossier Parish Schools: Charlene Cooper, Jacob Hesselschwardt, Emma Jordan
- Boys II Young Men Mentoring: Chris Henry
- Bossier Parish Community College: Beonica Frazier, Lynn McCoy
- BRF: Building our Region’s Future: Dawn Banks, Julia Grubb
- Caddo Parish Schools: Lynda Delo, Lisa Nance K. Renae Pullen, Roger Vance
- Capital One Bank: Connie Delaney, Allison Kushner
- Cohab Shreveport-Bossier: Jessica Schiele
- Cyber Innovation Center: Claire Floyd, Kevin Nolten
- Louisiana Tech University: Chester Williams
- LSU-S: Joseph Couvillion, Patricia Doerr, Kenna Franklin, Iris Johnson, Brian Salvatore
- McKinney Byrd Academy: Sheryl Lewing
- MLK Community Development Corp.: Irma Rogers
- NWLA Makerspace: Robin Jones, Demetrius Norman
- Oremi Technologies: Ebony Mitchell
- R.W. Norton Art Gallery Foundation: Laura Bearden, Micah Stewart
- Sci-Port Discovery Center: Alan Brown, Heather Kleiner
- Shreve Memorial Library: LeVette Fuller
- STARBASE Louisiana: Kathy Brandon
- STEP Forward: Laura Alderman, Segann March
- Twin Engine Labs: Keith Hanson
- Volunteers of America Lighthouse: Carolyn Hammond, Toccara Huckaby