Idaho STEM Ecosystem
The Idaho STEM Ecosystem is a network of STEM education leaders and supporters striving for a STEM-literate Idaho. Our active community of partners includes government agencies, non-profits, PreK-12 and higher education institutions, out-of-school organizations, and representatives from business and industry. Idaho STEM Action Center, under the Executive Office of the Governor, serves as the lead organization and works with partners statewide to advance STEM education and workforce development.
i-STEM – Summer professional development workshops held in six locations for PreK-12 educators statewide. This program reaches over 400 educators and impacts approximately 45,000 students each year.
Idaho Science & Engineering Fairs – Regional Fairs for students in grades 9-12 that qualifies students for the International Intel Science and Engineering Fair.
Rural Community STEM Engagement Project – A multi-year project assisting rural communities with innovative new tools, cutting-edge approaches to learning, and strategies for developing sustainable programs that foster STEM learning and 21st century skills.
MakerMinded – Online STEM activity competition for schools and districts across Idaho.
Externship Program – The STEM Action Center, in partnership with the Workforce Development Council, places K-12 classroom teachers in exciting externships with local businesses to bring back to their students STEM skills and workforce needs. h
STEM School Designation – Schools that become STEM accredited by the state can receive $10,000/year for 5 years.
The following founding partners will help guide the creation of the Idaho STEM Ecosystem:
- Career & Technical Education, Justin Touchstone, Senior Program Quality Manager
- State Dept of Education, Aaron McKinnon, Science Coordinator
- Idaho Out-of-School Network, Anna Almerico, Director
- Idaho Commission for Libraries, Stephanie Bailey-White, State Librarian
- Discovery Center of Idaho, Eric Miller, Executive Director
- Micron Foundation, Laurie Anderson, Manager K-12 Programs
- Idaho National Laboratory, Jennifer Jackson, K-12 STEM Program Manager
- University of Idaho, Melinda Davis, Director of STEM Education
- Boise State University-Institute for STEM and Diversity, Donna Llewellyn, Executive Director
- Idaho Diversity Network (EPSCoR), Sarah Penny, Idaho NSF Program Manager
- Galileo STEM Academy, Rob Lamb, Principal
- Articles and stories highlighting our work in computer science:
Articles and stories highlighting the i-STEM professional development institute:
Articles and stories highlighting externships project:
Articles and stories on partnerships:
Learn more about the Idaho Computer Science Initiative
Learn more about national grants Idaho has been awarded: