Cape Cod Regional STEM Network
The Cape Cod Regional STEM Network ecosystem brings together educators, school districts, industry partners, and community members who share a commitment to inspiring and supporting young people’s interest and achievement in STEM learning and careers. Housed at Cape Cod Community College, we are an informal network of over 85 organizations and more than 875 individuals working to enhance STEM education in our region.
The Teacher-in-Residence program is a teacher externship program that places teachers with STEM-rich institutions to develop innovative experiential curriculum units based on a two-week summer immersion experience, with the goal of sparking synergy between STEM in the community and STEM in the classroom.
Our region’s Blue Economy is made up of the myriad of ocean-related industries that are thriving here on Cape Cod & the Islands. In partnership with the Cape Cod Chamber of Commerce, the Blue Economy Foundation, and with the support of generous sponsors, we bring together employers and students to explore the careers in our Blue Economy in an event called WaterWORKS.
In our STEM Mentoring Program, co-sponsored by the Cape Cod Technology Council, STEM professionals are paired with community college STEM students over the course of the academic year to engage in mentoring activities to support student success.
We have launched Vex Robotics leagues for middle school, high school, and community college students. We host regional competitions, and interest is growing at every level. With generous support from the Robotics Education Competition Foundation, more than 30 new teams have sprung up in our region in the last two years.
With support from the Governor’s STEM Council we coordinate STEM Week each October in our region, inspiring collaboration among schools, companies, organizations, and individuals for dozens of high-quality activities and events with the goal of creating interest and excitement in STEM fields and careers.
Our website serves as a community resource for STEM events and STEM jobs and internships through our website’s Events Calendar and Jobs and Internships page, where we have featured hundreds of events and employment opportunities in our region.
The Cape Cod Regional STEM Network ecosystem has received support from National Science Foundation award #1347610.
- Hemant Chikarmane – Interim Dean of Science, Mathematics, and Engineering at Cape Cod Community College
- Chris Adams – Chief of Staff at the Cape Cod Chamber of Commerce
- Amy Fish – Innovation Studio Facilitator in the Bourne Public Schools
- Peter Karlson – Founder and CEO of NeuEon, Inc.
- Barbara Knoss – Director of Education & Volunteers at the Cape Cod Museum of Natural History
- Michael P. Looney, Sr.- Director of Career and Technical Education for the Mashpee Public School System
- Leila Maxwell – Director of STEM Instruction for the Dennis-Yarmouth Regional School District
- Keith Morrison – Vice President of Operations and Engineering at SencorpWhite
- Bert Jackson – Director of Community Outreach for Cape Cod Blue Economy Project
- Scott Kania – CEO of EarthWatch