Girls Living STEM Award
The STEM Learning Ecosystems Community of Practice’s theme for its fall convening is “Living STEM: Communities at the Heart.” How does this theme relate to STEM Learning Ecosystems? The one constant for life and work in the 21st century is that there is no constant. Our economy and how we live are ever-evolving. This means that future generations must be equipped to lead the demands of our changing world. Innovators must be empowered to solve our world’s most pressing challenges and to create economies that we can’t yet imagine. Communities are at the heart of this work. With partnerships involving business and industry, school districts, non-profits, philanthropic organizations and other influencers, communities can shape strong futures for themselves.
Women have played a critical role in Living and Leading STEM in communities. On October 21, 2019, women who have made important contributions to STEM will be honored during the first day of the Community of Practice Convening. The evening will commence with a special program at the Great Lakes Science Center, followed by a celebration at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum.
As part of the Women in STEM Recognition Event, we hope to recognize girls and young women living STEM across all STEM Learning Ecosystems.
The Girls Living STEM Award recognizes girls and young women who demonstrate:
- Leadership qualities, such as organization, communication and determination.
- Inspires others in their communities through their passion for STEM.
- Commitment to pursuing further development of STEM skills and knowledge through coursework, extra-curricular activities, and career planning in STEM.
- Looks for opportunities to build STEM skills and capabilities in those around them and in their communities.
- Engages in leading and mentoring exchanges to grow interest in STEM around them and in their communities.
- Actively seeking answers and connections using their STEM skills and knowledge to real-world problems impacting their communities, region, state, etc.
All Girls Living STEM Award winners will receive:
- A Girls Living STEM Award certificate by the STEM Learning Ecosystems Community of Practice.
- Recognition at the Women in STEM Recognition Event. Awardees are not expected to attend in person, but we will share their STEM passion and leadership on posters at the event. Awardees will also have their photos and bios included on any program materials and presentation materials. Unfortunately, we are unable to support the travel and attendance for award winners at the event.
- Inclusion on the STEM Learning Ecosystems website and social media.
- Multiple winners will be awarded, although our target is one per STEM Learning Ecosystem.
The Girls Living STEM Award is open to anyone:
- Who self-identifies as a girl or young woman;
- Who resides and is “Living STEM” in a STEM Learning Ecosystem;
- Who is in grades K-12; and
- Who is nominated by a member of the STEM Learning Ecosystem.
The key dates for the Girls Living STEM Awards:
- Friday, August 9, 2019: Nomination process opens
- Friday, September 20, 2019 (5:00pm PT): Nomination process closes
- Friday, September 27, 2019: Notifications sent to all nominees and winners.
- Wednesday, October 9, 2019: Winner follow-up information due (photos, videos, and bios)
- Monday, October 21, 2019: The Girls Living STEM Awards will be recognized at the Women in STEM Recognition Event at the STEM Learning Ecosystems Community of Practice Convening taking place on Monday, October 21, 2019.
How Do I Nominate a Girl or Young Woman?
The nomination form is only available to STEM Learning Ecosystems Community of Practice Members. You can access the nomination form at the Community of Practice Site (log-in required) or via email. Community of Practice Members can submit multiple nominations. Make sure to look our for our emails.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.